Today I will talk about my preferred firefox addons.
Below are the firefox addons that are installed for my firefox.
1. ADBlock Plus : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865
Best ad blocker, I have ever used. An absolute necessity. Features I like :
– Blocking iframes.
– Writing custom filters to dynamically block any content on a page.
– View list of blockable items on a page.
For some reason, suddenly I started to hate google ads. I use it to block Google Ads by creating a filter like, http://*googlesyndication*. I can block any image/banner on the fly. Ever pissed by those flash banners that cover up entire screens.
An easy way to block some google ads is add a bogus ip (e.g. 127.0.0.1) in your hosts file, (system32/drivers/etc/hosts or /etc/hosts) for pagead2.googlesyndication.com.
To block those stubborn gmail ads and *Sponsored Links*(which no one can seem to block) use an add-on called “CustomizeGoogle”. Or you will have to create custom filters in adblock which are sometimes difficult to create for these kinds of ads.
Anyways, I am pretty much living an add free life. People might say its unethical to browse without ads, but my point is I have never clicked on any of those anyways.
2. FoxyProxy : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2464
– This replaces firefox’s network connections settings.
– You can define as many proxies as you want.
– You can select any proxy on the fly.
– You can create blacklists and whitelists sites for every proxy.
– You can create patterns, for e.g. *skype* website is url-blocked at my workplace and I use my home proxy for such sites. Hence I have created patterns http://*skype*, http://*orkut*. So as soon as I go to orkut or skype, automatically my home proxy is used. For all other traffic my default proxy is used.
3. CookieSwap : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3255
This one’s real handy. CookieSwap enables you to easily swap all your cookies so that you can be logged in to multiple web e-mail accounts (like Gmail and Yahoo! mail) at the same time and quickly switch between them.
All you have to do is choose an active profile, surf in that profile. All cookies would be mapped to this profile. Now chose another profile and surf another account in that profile. Now you may select any profile on the fly to be logged in multiple accounts. However to rename profiles or add new profiles, you will have to manually rename create new profile files.
4. SeoQuake : https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/3036
Seoquake is a Mozilla Firefox extension aimed primarily at helping web masters who deal with search engine optimization and internet promotion of web sites. Seoquake allows to obtain and investigate many important SEO parameters of the internet…
I was really impressed with site data it can fetch. The sites from which it can fetch data is configurable. Also all your search results carry all this information which enhances your search results. Very useful for webmasters or bloggers.
5. imacros : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3863
If you love the Firefox web browser, but are tired of repetitive tasks like visiting the same sites every days, filling out forms, and remembering passwords, then iMacros for Firefox is the solution you’ve been dreaming of! iMacros was designed to automate the most repetitious tasks on the web. If there’s an activity you have to do repeatedly, just record it in iMacros. The next time you need to do it, the entire macro will run at the click of a button! With iMacros, you can quickly and easily fill out web forms, remember passwords, download information from other sites, scrape the Web (get data from multiple sites), and more. You can keep the macros on your computer for your own use, or share them with others by embedding them on your homepage, blog, company Intranet or any social bookmarking service. The uses are limited only by your imagination! ***Whatever you do with Firefox, iMacros can automate it.**
6. Del.icio.us : Needs no introduction
7. StumbleUpon : Needs no introdution
So, these are the 7 addons currently installed for me. My current theme is Ubuntu Tango Theme
Other add-ons (Worth mentioning) : Gspace, Trashmail, SpeedDial, Better Gmail, SimpleDelicious, Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer.
So what about you ? Tell us about your favorite firefox addon.